Thursday, June 4, 2009

What I do. Making Handmade Blankets and Pillows for Children




Ok so here is Part II of How it Started..

Once the idea to make my Blankets was formed I had to start shopping for the supplies.

So most of my Fabrics in the beginning were purchased from other ebay sellers. There are several that I purchase from regularly that have Beautiful Childrens fabrics in multiple yardage which is what I need to keep my stock refreshed.

I use mainly 100% Cotton Fabrics but I also have many Designs in the "Snuggle"or "Cozy" Flannel Fabrics all of which are Machine Washable and Low Heat Dryable

And my philosophy is to help the other ebay sellers make money while helping myself make money.

The Batting on the other hand was a different story. I need such a large amount there were no ebay sellers that I could buy from.. So I headed back to my Favorite local Fabric store to purchase and put in a standing order for a 45 Yard Long Roll.

It`s a Good thing I have a Van :>)

These Rolls are 52" wide and around 2 ft in diameter..

Next came the Thread in all different colors that I needed.

I purchased what I could budget wise to get me started and then watched for a Sale Online and next ordered more than 100 Spools of High Quality Polyester Thread in every possible color.

And finally where could I find Large Quantity of Packages of the Satin Blanket binding I use for the edging ?

Back to ebay of Course ! A wonderful seller who happens to also live in CT carries this in her store and I`ve been ordering 15-20 packages at a time from her to keep me in supply.

Now this is what I use to make the Blankets :

And these pictures show how the finished product looks :

Even though I specialize in Children`s Fabrics, I have many for the Bigger Kids (Teens ) and Adults as Well.

The sizes I can make are Toddler Bed /Crib Size which are 36" x 44" and this size also makes a Nice Lap Blanket for folks who are Wheelchair Bound for whatever reason.

Many of my Blankets are Purchased for the Little ones who are in DayCare and need a Nap/Rest Time Blankie with them

And some are purchased to use as a Sofa Back throw to use as TV snuggle Blanket or just to add to the Decor..

Many of the All Over Prints I have can be made for Twin Beds as well which are 44" x 72"

All of them are Backed with a Matching Solid Color Fabric to match the Front Pattern

And the Blanket is edged with a Matching Color Satin Blanket Binding as well.

So if you are looking for a Very Special One Of A Kind Gift for someones Birthday, Christmas, Baby Shower Gift or just a " I Love You" Gift please visit me @

http://stores.ebay.com/KDMORE-CRAFTS-AND-MORE?refid=store

and click on the link for Blankets to see what I have available right now.

You can also find me @

http://bonanzle.com/booths/kdmoretti to see some of the Blankets I have ready to go and on

http://etsy.com/your_shop.php

I will gladly look for a special fabric for you as well if I don`t already have it in stock.

Just email me @ kdmore99@sbcglobal.net and mention BLANKETS in the subject line

I LOVE to Fabric shop !

Hope to see you around :>)

3 comments:

  1. How interesting Kathy. I can't sew worth a darn. I put fabric on the machine and sew together things that should not be sewn together. LOL

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Kathy and what a great commitment to helping other eBay sellers. I LOVE that you do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and your pictures-I love fabric also I just have a nervous breakdown in front of a sewing machine lol

    ReplyDelete